09 February 2012

Book Review Thursday


Sucking Eggs: What Your Wartime Granny Could Teach You about Diet, Thrift and Going Green by Patricia Nicol

The last handful of books that I’ve read definitely have a Brit theme going on.  This week’s review is on Sucking Eggs: What Your Wartime Granny Could Teach You about Diet, Thrift and Going Green.  I was very thrifty and green when buying the book as I got it used off of Amazon.co.uk.  

When I ordered this I thought it was going to be much more of a lifestyle book than it turned out to be.  This book was overflowing with wartime and ration history.  Nicol did an amazing job of taking events that were not only 60 years past, but really far removed from the way we live today and finding a way to relate it to modern life.  For example, clothing was rationed and people work hard at keeping what they had in good repair and use that material in any way possible until there was nothing left of it.  Today clothes can be found so cheaply that they’ve become disposable.  We own dozens of everything.  I’m definitely guilty of buying without need.  

Nicol spent a large portion of the book discussing food rationing.  In our house we work really hard at not letting anything go bad, no matter how, um, interesting dishes sometimes become.  She also discussed travel and the high cost of not just moving ourselves around but also our food and clothing. 
I don’t think that this book will cause me to really change my lifestyle, but it was definitely a good read and provides a lot of food for thought. 

No comments:

Post a Comment