25 October 2012

Bit of a Baking Fail



My mom is an amazing cook and baker and she often sends me recipes that she thinks/knows that I’d like.  This is one that she sent me a while ago and I just got around to trying out, and sort of failing at. We're calling these Bordey Bars. 

First I gathered the ingredients:
- 2 sticks of butter (1 cup)
- 2 cups of firmly packed brown sugar 
- 2 tsp of baking powder
-1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanila extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
 
Pre-heat the oven to 350F, or about 180C.  Grease a 9x13 inch pan and put aside.  

Melt the butter and then mix with the brown sugar until totally mixed.
Add the baking powder, salt and vanilla and mix well.
Gradually add the flour and mix, this should make the dough very stiff.
Wisk the eggs in a seperate bowl and then add slowly, mixing well.
Spread the batter in the pan you prepared earlier and bake for about 30 minutes.  The edges should be golden brown and the middle still soft. 
Let it cool completly and then cut into squares and enjoy!
Mine tasted fine, but as you can see they were a bit on the burnt side.  What went wrong?  I think that part of it was that I halved the recipe.  I really think that the first time you bake something you should do it by the book.  I don't think this was my biggest problem though, I think it was the pan size.  I should have used my very functional, but slightly dull clear Pyrex dish.  The dough was just too thick to cook properly and it took ages, hense the burnt edges and top.

Mr Grumpy didn't dislike these bars, but he prefers some of the other things I make so I don't know if this will be on my to bake list again.  





 

No comments:

Post a Comment